|“|| Samuel: Best guess, it came from an Arachne.|
Sam: You ever seen one?
Samuel: No one has. Not outside of Crete and not for 2000 years.
Arachnes are supernatural creatures who have abilities similar to those of spiders.
An arachne is a creature that can create strong webs, just like real spiders can do, so they can trap their victims with ease. They are also capable of changing humans into arachnes by biting them, in order to propagate their species. Arachnes can even kill humans with poisoning through their bites. It is implied that they feed upon human flesh. Due to their multiple eyes, their field of vision is split into several images.
They bear some physical resemblance to spiders, such as their white eyes with large sky-blue irises and black pupils, and their crusty skin. However, they can appear like normal humans as seen in Unforgiven.
Powers and Abilities
Their powers resemble the abilities of a spider.
- Super Strength - Arachne have incredible physical strength, they are able to throw a fully grown man across a room with no difficulty.
- Super Agility - Able to move with incredible flexibility
- Super Speed - Able to move faster than any human
- Web Creation - Like real spiders, they can spin strong webbing in which they imprison their victims.
- Super Senses - Arachne have enhanced vision that is split into multiple lenses, similar to actual spiders.
- Invulnerability - Arachne are invulnerable to bullets and fire.
- Venom - Arachne venom is lethal, and like spiders they pass it through bites, and is used to change humans into arachne.
- Decapitation - Arachnes can only be killed by having their heads removed.
Arachnes were last seen in Crete, two thousand years ago, before one turned up in Bristol Rhode Island. There it began attacking thirty-year old men; Sam and Samuel, hunted it, along with the help of local sheriff Roy Dobbs, however, following Sam's plan, he was captured, but the two managed to track it back to its lair, where after a fight, Sam managed to kill it.
However, it had already infected its victims; thinking they were dying, Sam shot them all seeing it as an act of mercy, in his soulless state, and then burned the bodies, but by this point they were no longer human, so they survived, and once Sam was gone, they ran.
However, Roy returned, hell-bent on revenge; he started taking out and turning girls Sam had something with, and sent him the coordinates, to lure him to him, but as Sam had lost his memory when he regained his soul, he didn't understand until it was too late.
Roy captured both Sam and Dean, at his old house; there he pondered whether to kill or convert Sam, however, Dean managed to break free, and in the struggle, Roy's wife freed Sam, who managed to kill Roy. The only surviving Arachnes remaining are the victims the female Arachne turned as well as the women whom Roy turned.
- Alpha Arachne (unknown)
- Female Arachne (deceased)
- Various men turned by the Female Arachne
- Roy Dobbs (deceased)
- James Edward Drake
- Various women turned by Roy Dobbs
- In the book "Supernatural The Official Companion Season 6" Andrew Dabb explains "There's a Greek mythological story about a woman who is an excellent weaver, but she weaves so well that the gods are jealous and as punishment for showing up the gods, the goddess Athena [a.k.a Minerva in Roman mythology] reaches down and turns the woman into a spider. That explains why the spider can weave webs so well. We used that story as our jumping off point for human spider monsters, and that's where we got the name."