|“|| Dean: An Alpha? Like-|
Samuel: Like all monsters come from somewhere, right? (...) First one, who spawned all the others.
Alphas stand as the fathers of their allotted species.
The Alphas are the children of Eve and the first of their respective species. As the first and oldest, they are also the most powerful monsters and are regarded as the parent of their respective race, since they were the ones who began populating each monster race once Eve had created them. According to Samuel Campbell, there is a ton of lore about the alphas, but until their emergence when Crowley started hunting for Purgatory, they were thought to be a myth.
Due to their age and power, they possess very few weaknesses, often being immune to or less affected by major weaknesses that hold true for their respective species.
In The ShowEdit
The alpha vampire is kidnapped and taken by Samuel and Christian for interrogation, it reveals Samuel's motives of locating Purgatory. It seemed very interested in the fact that Sam had no soul. It escaped the Campbell's custody and snapped Christian's neck in a fight. It was about to turn Sam when Christian injected it with dead man's blood, which weakened it. Three demons then restrained the alpha, teleporting him away to Crowley's prison. Although snapping Christian's neck had no effect on the demon that was currently possessing him, the Alpha killed the actual Christian.
The alpha skinwalker (off-screen) rallies an army of Skinwalkers who are ordered to turn the families of the pets they are posing as when directed. Also at the beginning of the episode, Crowley alludes to the existence of an alpha Werewolf.
The alpha shapeshifter appears in the beginning of the episode taking the form of Crowley's host. He was being tortured by Crowley and was killed by a beheading because he would not tell him the location of Purgatory. Weapons made of iridium are capable of harming the alpha shapeshifter. At the conclusion of the episode, Castiel clears out Crowley's prison of all the monsters, of which it is mentioned at least a few alphas were there that were destroyed.
The Alpha Vampire returns, having escaped Crowley's prison before it was destroyed. The Winchesters need his blood to help stop the Leviathans as the blood of an alpha is one of the ingredients needed for the weapon that can kill them. After learning that the Leviathans intend to wipe out his race and when Sam and Dean save him from Edgar, the Alpha Vampire gives them his blood without a fight.
As part of their operations in America, the British Men of Letters begin Project V, aimed at exterminating all American vampires. Their operation kills 230 of 241 vampires in the Midwest alone and draws the ire of the Alpha Vampire who considers America his home. In retaliation, the Alpha Vampire leads a raid on the British Men of Letters compound aided by rogue hunter Pierce Moncrieff. Though most of the British operatives are killed, Sam Winchester is at the compound at the time and rallies the survivors. After learning that the British Men of Letters have the Colt, Sam teaches them to make bullets for the legendary gun. Though the Alpha Vampire bluffs that he is one of the five things the gun can't kill, Sam manages to shoot the Alpha Vampire through the head with the Colt with the help of Mary Winchester and Mick Davies, killing the Alpha Vampire.
Dean mentions Alphas as one of the types of creatures the Winchesters have killed.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As the creators of their specific species, each of them are much more powerful because of literally being the first of their kind.
- Telepathic Link - They possess a telepathic link to their children, allowing them to track or communicate with them over great distance. They can also learn knowledge their children possess.
- Super Strength - As the eldest, purest, and most endowed of their respective breeds, alphas possess far superior strength than any common member of their species. The strongest of them are at least stronger than a common demon or at most powerful enough to push a Leviathan away for a few moments though they are not strong enough to be a Leviathan on their own. The Alpha Shapeshifter demonstrated strength great enough to rip an iron door off of its hinges with ease and the Alpha Vampire, along with holding his own momentarily against a Leviathan, was often seen throwing hunters around with just one hand when fighting them.
- Super stamina - Their durability and pain thresholds are far superior to the rest of their species.
- Immunity - Alphas are more resistant to certain weapons that harm lesser members of their races. For example, the Alpha Shapeshifter is immune to silver and the Alpha Vampire demonstrated a high degree of resilience to dead man's blood though massive amounts weakened him enough for three demons to overpower him. Additionally, the Alpha Shapeshifter was only briefly slowed down by massive amounts of tranquilizer and quickly recovered.
- Immortality - Even if their species is not immortal, the alpha is, provided they are not killed. This is supported by the fact that while shapeshifters are not immortal, the Alpha Shapeshifter did not die until recently, when he was beheaded by Crowley, despite having been alive the last time Eve, the Mother of All, walked the Earth when all alphas were created.
- Invulnerability - Silver and powerful tranquilizers caused no harm to the Alpha Shapeshifter with only the rare metal iridium causing any harm to him. In the case of the Alpha Vampire, he withstood electrocution without an issue, even mocking his torturer and a weapon that could easily kill lesser vampires was noted to only be able to maybe be able to hurt him. The only confirmed methods of killing an Alpha are decapitation and the Colt as seen with the Alpha Shapeshifter and the Alpha Vampire respectively.
- High Endurance - The Alpha Vampire was not even phased by being electrocuted and the Alpha Shapeshifter withstood Crowley's torture without much trouble.
- Enhanced Abilities - All skills that are owned by their own offspring alphas own on a considerably higher level.
- The Colt - It can kill all but five things in all of Creation including the Alphas as seen with the death of the Alpha Vampire.
- Leviathans - They can kill any kind of monster.
- Eve - As their mother, Eve can kill alphas.
- Horde of Demons - A group of three black-eyed demons was able to capture a badly weakened alpha vampire.
- Decapitation - Used by Crowley to kill the Alpha Shapeshifter. As a vampire, the Alpha Vampire was vulnerable to this weakness as well.
- Alpha Vampire (deceased)
- Alpha Shapeshifter (deceased)
- Alpha Skinwalker (mentioned)
- Alpha Werewolf (mentioned by Crowley)
- Alpha Djinn (mentioned indirectly by Crowley)
- Alpha Borderwalker (tie-in books only; created by Huehuecoyotl)
- Alpha Wendigo (mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting)
- Alpha Ghoul (mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting)
- Alpha Wraith (mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting)
- Alpha Arachne (unknown)
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 12
- Season 15
- In Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting, Bobby confirms the existence of the Alpha Wendigo, which implies that they are descendants from Eve. This book is non-canon. However, the fact that Ellsworth was coordinating demons attempting to capture a Wendigo for Crowley in The Man Who Would Be King would suggest that they are indeed related to Eve.
- Through their mother Eve, the Alphas - as well as the descendants of each Alpha - are related to the Leviathans.