All Dogs Go To Heaven is the 8th episode of Season 6. It aired on November 12th, 2010.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Dean and Sam investigate what seems to be a werewolf killing but turns out to be a skinwalker (guest star Andrew Rothenberg) posing as a family dog who is taking revenge on his owner's enemies. After capturing the dog, he turns human and tells Sam and Dean that an Alpha skinwalker has created many sleeper cells that will rise on his command and kill their families. The only way to stop the mass murders is to find and kill the Alpha.
PlotCrowley approaches Dean and Sam with a job. When Dean is reluctant to listen to him, Crowley reminds him that he owns Sam and can send him back to hell at any time; on the other hand, if they play along and manage to bring him an Alpha, Crowley will give Sam back his soul. Though reluctant to work for Crowley, they don't see any other choice.
He sends Dean and Sam to Buffalo, New York to investigate what appears to be a werewolf attack. When they arrive, they learn about another attack—so far, both a landlord (Erik Gieszelmann) and a dockworker (Ronald Garrigan) have been found with their chests ripped open and their hearts missing. Sam does some research and discovers what the two men have in common: Cal Garrigon. If anyone threatens Cal, they end up dead. They follow him and wait for him to turn into a werewolf, but an entire night passes without him changing. Then, when Cal is murdered in the same fashion as the other victims, their next suspect is Cal's girlfriend, Mandy. Sam is ready to take her in, but Dean is reluctant to capture and take her to Crowley without being sure of her culpability. He goes to see the scene of Cal's murder and do some more research while Sam keeps watch on Cal and Mandy's house. Although Dean doesn't find anything, Sam sees the family dog, Lucky, change into a man, put on clothes, and leave the house.
Sam follows him and sees him talk to another man in a park. When he approaches, though, the man smells him, turns back into Lucky, and tries to run. Before Sam can catch up to him, Lucky is hit by a car and the driver loads him into the back to take him to an animal shelter. Sam, based on information from Bobby, calls Dean and tells him that they are dealing with a skinwalker posing as a dog.
Sam and Dean take him from the animal shelter, binding him in rope and silver chains to restrain him. it transpires that the man was homeless when he was approached and recruited to become a skinwalker by being told that being bitten would make him strong and fast.
Lucky reveals that there are about thirty Skinwalkers who have been recruited and are living with families as pets. On a signal from their pack leader, they will infect their families, thus recruiting more skinwalkers. He tells Sam and Dean that there are packs in many towns, but he knows nothing of the Alpha skinwalker.
Lucky leads Sam and Dean to the Pack Leader, but he has kidnapped Mandy and her son and threatens to kill them unless Lucky turns them. Sam and Dean open fire, and all the Skinwalkers are killed, except Lucky who although shot with a silver bullet, escapes.
Lucky, in human form, goes to visit Mandy and tells her how he appreciated her kindness, but she tells him to leave. Lucky transforms into a dog and dejectedly leaves.
Afterwards, Sam tells Dean that he's been considering the situation, and Dean is right: without a soul, he's not really Sam anymore. He admits that he really doesn't care about Lisa, Ben, or even Dean. Sam also reveals that he has done terrible things and killed innocent people in the last year, something that the real Sam would never do, and despite how hard it was living with a soul, he thinks it's better to try to be "that Sam" again. Dean agrees that they need to find a way to return Sam's soul to him.
- Andrew Rothenberg as Lucky
- Aleks Paunovic as Pack Leader's Second in Command
- Janet Kidder as Mandy
- Jason Diablo as Cal Garrigan
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Alphas (Alpha Vampire, Alpha Skinwalker, mentioned only; Alpha Werewolf, referenced only)
- Crossroad Demon (Crowley)
- Skinwalkers (Skinwalker Pack Leader, Lucky, Pack Leader's Second in Command, Pack Enforcers)
- Werewolf (Madison, referenced only)
- Sam believes a young mother to be a werewolf and wants to just turn her over to Crowley. Dean argues over her alibi and Sam comments on how the last werewolf they encountered had an alibi too by being in bed with him. This is in a reference to season 2 episode Heart.
- When Cal gets killed by his dog Lucky, as he dies and blood splashes onto his pickup, you can hear the Wilhelm scream.
- Adam Glass cites this as his favorite episode to write, and was dismayed that fans did not take well to "dogs being your enemy".
- "Flirtin' With Disaster" by Molly Hatchet
- The episode title refers to the animated film of the same name.
- Dean and Sam post as FBI Agents "Holt and Wilson", a reference to the 1981 werewolf movie "Wolfen", where Dewey Wilson and Eddie Holt were played by Albert Finney and Edward James Olmos.
- Dean calls Sam "Dexter", referring to the television series and its eponymous serial-killer killing serial-killer lead character.
- Sam says, "Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria." This is a line from the 1984 movie, Ghostbusters
- Dean asks Lucky "Where is this little Scooby gang of yours?" This is a reference to the cartoon Scooby Doo and/or to the TV-Show Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Crowley: "Dean, Dean. Been over this. Quit clutching your pearls. You've been working for me for some time now. Sam here, longer."
- Sam: "We didn't know."
- Crowley: "Like that makes a difference to you. You'd sell your brother for a dollar right now if you really needed a soda."
- Dean: "Good Mornin'... Ish..."
- Dean: [to Lucky] "Now we can do this the easy way..." [holds up a stack of clothes] "...or the hard way." [holds up training collar.]
- Sam: "What? Soul or not, that's funny."
- Sam: "Why shack up with a family? Is it a kinky thing? Do you like to play with your food? Roll over, Lucky. Speak."
- Lucky: "Go to hell."
- Sam: "Already been. Didn't agree with me."
- Sam: "I'd double-cross us."
- Dean: "Thanks, Dexter. That's reassuring."
- Sam: "Just making conversation."
- German: Alle Hunde kommen in den Himmel (All dogs go to heaven)
- French: La Meute (The Pack)