|“||You wanna know why I gutted your family? Orders. I was following orders. (...) Who do you think? Lucifer planned the whole thing. (...) No particular reason. You were chosen, but you're not special. We threw a dart at the phone book.||”|
In 2009, after the Apocalypse began, Lucifer ordered Abraxas to kill someone's family in order to prepare a vessel for him when Sam Winchester was unavailable. Abraxas chose Nick of Pike Creek, Delaware, a choice he made simply by throwing a dart at the phone book. Nick's wife Sarah spotted Abraxas and called the police to report a prowler. When beat cop Frank Kellogg arrived, Abraxas introduced himself then possessed the man. In Frank's body, Abraxas brutally murdered Sarah and her son Teddy with a hammer before leaving Frank in his police cruiser and departing his body. As planned, Lucifer was able to use the murders to manipulate Nick into becoming his vessel.
Along with another demon, Abraxas brutally slaughtered a Girl Scout troop only to be confronted by hunter Mary Winchester, saving a single member of the troop from the slaughter. Abraxas proved to be too strong for the hunter to handle so she trapped him in smoke form inside of an Enochian Puzzle Box that Mary then hid in her lock-up. Though the other demon escaped, she witnessed Abraxas' capture.
In 2018, after the death of Lucifer, Nick began seeking out his family's killer for revenge, eventually tracking down Frank Kellogg. Frank told Nick of his encounter with Abraxas outside of Nick's home and his memory lapse before waking up in his cruiser covered in Sarah's blood. Nick realized that Lucifer knew the name Abraxas and that Abraxas was a demon who had possessed Frank to murder his wife and son. Nick recognized that the murders were not Frank's fault, but beat him to death in revenge anyway as it was his hands that Abraxas used to murder Sarah and Teddy.
In 2019, Nick's rampage of revenge led to him capturing and torturing the demon Abraxas had been working with before his capture. The demon pointed Nick towards Mary who Nick then kidnapped to find Abraxas. Mary reluctantly led Nick to her lock-up where he kidnapped a security guard named Jeff to be Abraxas' vessel in order to be able to speak with the demon and get answers for his family's murders. Nick broke open the puzzle box with a drill, releasing Abraxas who immediately possessed Jeff, but was contained by a devil's trap. Nick demanded answers from Abraxas who was surprised to learn who Nick was and that Lucifer was dead. Abraxas offered Nick answers if he would kill Mary "slow and bloody" as Abraxas held a grudge against her for locking him in a box.
As Nick went to comply, he was interrupted by Sam, Dean and Donna Hanscum. Desperate to get answers, Nick used an angel blade to break the devil's trap around Abraxas. Pleased, Abraxas broke the ropes tying him to a chair and telekinetically slammed everyone to the floor. Abraxas then revealed to Nick that he had murdered Nick's family on Lucifer's orders, taking enjoyment in taunting that Nick was chosen but not special. Dean began an exorcism on the demon, but Abraxas flung him into a shelf with telekinesis, calling Dean "naughty." Abraxas tauntingly asked who would die first and advanced on Mary. Before he could get far, Nick seized the demon's moment of distraction, grabbed him from behind and shoved Abraxas to his knees. Nick then stabbed Abraxas in the chest with his angel blade, killing the demon and avenging his family.
After returning to his home in search of Lucifer, Nick finds Sarah's ghost trapped in the house by the unfinished business of her murder. Nick explains to Sarah how Abraxas murdered her while possessing Frank Kellogg and he has killed him, but its not enough for Sarah to be able to move on.
|“||Why did you kill my family?
Who's he? Sorry, you're gonna have to be more specific.
Abraxas was an extremely sadistic and evil demon. He was known for slowly and brutally murdering his victims and greatly enjoying doing so and was known to target young children. When confronted by Nick over the murders of his family, Abraxas stated that Nick would have to be more specific about which murders he was talking about. When told that Lucifer was dead, Abraxas simply found the fact "cool," showing no real care that the archangel was dead.
Abraxas held a grudge against Mary Winchester for locking him in a box and was willing to trade Nick killing Mary "slow and bloody" for information and smiled with joy as Nick went to comply. His grudge was such that he targeted Mary first when he tried to go after the hunters to kill them. Upon being freed, Abraxas greeted Mary with a "heya, blondie. Missed you" and mockingly blew her a kiss.
After Nick freed him, Abraxas took sadistic glee in explaining that he was simply following Lucifer's orders when he killed Nick's family. Abraxas went so far as to taunt that despite being chosen, Nick was no one special and Abraxas had picked him simply by throwing a dart at the phone book.
In combat, Abraxas was arrogant, overconfident and taunting. When Dean attempted to exorcise him, Abraxas called Dean "naughty" for doing so and flung him into a shelf with telekinesis. His confidence was such that he asked everyone around him "who dies first?" as Abraxas advanced. However, his arrogance was such that he turned his back to Nick, the one person armed with a weapon that could kill him and the person who desired revenge, leading to Abraxas' downfall.
As part of his sadism, Abraxas appeared to leave his vessels alive to deal with the aftermath of his crimes as seen with the fact that he possessed Frank Kellogg simply to murder Nick's family and then left him unharmed and covered in blood, but with no memory of what Abraxas did while possessing him. This left Frank to deal with the trauma of having seemingly brutally murdered two innocent people for no apparent reason.
Powers and Abilities
Abraxas was a fairly powerful black-eyed demon to the point that even experienced hunter Mary Winchester couldn't defeat him in combat and believed that if he escaped, he could potentially kill both herself and Nick.
- Demonic Possession - As a demon, he required a vessel to walk the Earth.
- Immortality - As a demon, he was immortal unless killed.
- Invulnerability - As a demon, he was invulnerable to all forms of conventional harm.
- Super Strength - As a demon, he was stronger than humans. His strength was such that Mary Winchester couldn't defeat him in a fight. After the devil's trap that held him was broken, Abraxas was able to break the ropes holding him to a chair simply by pulling his arms apart.
- Telekinesis - Abraxas was powerfully telekinetic, raising into the air and then slamming to the floor Sam, Dean, Mary, Nick and Donna Hanscum simply by raising his arms into the air and then dropping them. With a hand gesture, he was able to fling Dean into a shelf.
Abraxas possessed all the regular weaknesses of a demon.
- Archangels - Like many demons, Abraxas was subservient to Lucifer.
- Enochian Puzzle Box - Mary Winchester was able to trap Abraxas in his smoke form within the puzzle box until it was broken.
- Devil's Trap - Like all demons, Abraxas could be held by the trap and wasn't able to escape until Nick broke it. When his smoke form was released from the Enochian Puzzle Box, it was stuck within the confines of the trap, forcing him to go into Jeff's body rather than making his escape or possessing someone else.
- Angel Blades - Nick was able to kill Abraxas with an angel blade.
- Season 5
- Sympathy for the Devil (referenced only)
- Season 14
- Nelson Leis, who portrayed Abraxas and his vessel Jeff, also portrayed the angel Esper in Season 8's The Great Escapist.
- Abraxas' demon smoke clearly hits a barrier when it reaches the edge of the devil's trap after it tries to escape. This is the first instance of a demon being shown to be stuck inside of a devil's trap even while in smoke form.
- Abraxas' death has similarities to Sister Agnes in Season 9's Mother's Little Helper: in both cases, the demons are distracted when someone attempts to perform an exorcism on them that fails. After the exorcism fails, their killer takes advantage of their distraction from the failed exorcism to kill them instead.
- Abraxas is the final demon in the series to be stuck inside a devil's trap.